Les Baleines lighthouse
Situated to the west of Ile de Ré in Saint Clément des Baleines.
The lighthouse owes its name to the fact that a rather large number of whales washed up at this particular spot on Ile de Ré in the past.
It replaces the old lighthouse built by Vauban.
The lighthouse built in 1849, stands 57 metres tall and has 257 steps. Its beacon can be seen from approximately 50 kilometres away.
Les Baleines lighthouse is open for visits all year round, as is the museum located in the old lighthouse.